Cob verify?

Speireag Alden speireag at linguist.dartmouth.edu
Tue Dec 29 08:07:41 CST 1998

Sgrìobh Mike Carter:

> Almost there but not quite.  (Mike #3, who has spent his share of 5 degree
> nights in the Sierra Nevada sleeping on snow)

    Augh!  They're everywhere!  :)

>>    My point in reply was that cob doesn't insulate any better than any dry
>>earth (rammed earth, adobe, and whatnot).

> This just isn't true.  Rammed earth is much more dense then cob.  Cob does
> not equal rock.  We use about 1/3 straw by volume in our basic cob mix.
> Sometimes even 85% for special applications.  You can adjust the density and
> to some degree the insulative properties, which are directly related to the
> density.

    Thank you for bringing personal experience to the discussion.  I'll
defer to your experience as far as straw content and whatnot.  Correct me
if I'm wrong, but something with 85% straw would be closer to what they
call "light clay" and such a mixture could not be used to support a roof
load all by itself, or could it?

>>Cob isn't insulation; it's thermal mass.

> Sorry, it has insulative properties that, although not spectacular, are
> variable and cannot be ignored especially in some of the wall thicknesses
> that have been used historically.  Even R = .25/inch (rammed earth) x 4' =
> R12 for the wall.

    Certainly I agree that there is an insulative property.  Strictly
speaking, *anything* has *some* insulative property.  However, my
understanding, from much discussion with the folks on the StrawBale and
GreenBuilding lists, and from some technical reading, is that insulation
and thermal mass are fish and fowl.  They behave differently and should be
understood and analyzed differently.

    The R-value of a substance is determined by putting one temperature on
one side of the surface, another temperature on the other side, waiting
until the material reaches a "steady state" of transmission of heat, and
then seeing how much heat travels through the material, per unit time and
surface area.

    But that situation is *specifically designed* to avoid almost entirely
the beneficial effects of thermal mass, because it reaches a steady state
before the measurement is taken.  The lovely thing about thermal mass is
the storage of heat or coolness, and the oscillation around a mean
temperature; that's when thermal mass really performs.

    And, yes, not all thermal mass is created equal; stone conducts heat
better than dry earth, and as you pointed out, dry compacted earth conducts
heat better than dry compacted earth with straw added.  All three, however,
are distinctly at one end of the spectrum between thermal mass and
insulation.

    I never meant to get into nitpicking about differences between .25/inch
and .5/inch or what-have-you.  I was responding to Mike, who wrote, "The
clay and straw have certain insulative qualities that surpass alot of
modern-day building materials."

    I contest that statement.  While it might be technically true (after
all, steel is a modern building material, and cob is more insulative than
steel), it gives a false impression to someone who's trying to figure out
the larger question of what cob is and how it stands against other building
methods.  If Mike had written only to me, I might not be so insistent, but
there are a lot of people who are trying to figure out how to build their
homes, and who get information from this list, and I did not want anyone to
rely on Mike's assertion and thereby build inappropriately to the climate
or situation.

> Just like strawbale has some mass.

    Yes, strictly speaking, the bales have some mass, but I don't think
that they matter much for mass in comparison to the stucco.  The stucco is
what gives strawbale its mass; the bales provide the insulation.  It's the
combination that give strawbale walls their peculiar performance
characteristics.  For instance, the R-value of strawbale walls may be lower
than first thought, but they still perform better than their R-value would
suggest *because of the thermal mass*.

    I've heard some people say that they're going to build a cob wall and
then put straw bales around it and stucco outside of that.  No doubt
they'll have a well-insulated building with lots of thermal mass, and if
the other details are right it'll be a good house.  I decided for myself
that the walls were thick enough at 22 inches (bales plus stucco on both
sides), and I decided to put my thermal mass in the floor, in the form of
six inches of gravel topped by a hollow-core passive solar floor, topped by
four inches of earthen floor.  Why?  Lots of reasons, including the fact
that we get taxed on exterior footprint, so the wall thickness is taxed as
usable space.  So I figured that if I could get the same benefit with more
usable floor space, then I'd do it that way.

    Now I'm rambling.  Sorry about that; see above for my main point.  Best
wishes to all you cobbers and all you owner-builders.

-Speireag.
Speireag Alden, aka Joshua Macdonald Alden
Joshua.M.Alden.91 at alum.dartmouth.org
Usually found somewhere in the wilds of New Hampshire.
Nach sgrìobhaidh thugam 'sa Gàidhlig?