Cob & Timber Frame

Michael Shafer mbshafer at telerama.lm.com
Tue Feb 2 17:05:46 CST 1999

Greetings to all,

As a new comer to Cob techniques I'm going to respond here with caution as
I'm not familiar with such items as moisture content the finished product.

Regarding timer frame structures three primary factors come to mind
regarding longevity in regards to moisture exposure.

The primary factor would be the type of wood. Some woods, like locust, are
almost legendary in their resistance to rot or as my West Virginian
grandfather once said "It'll last just a bit longer than stone." Another
good rot resistant wood is white oak.

The second factor is whether the wood is heartwood or has a large portion of
sapwood. Evidence indicates that the old timber cut from the virgin forests,
being all old growth heartwood, had much greater longevity. Sapwood, in
general, doesn't stand up to moisture and thus rot.

The third factor is relative moisture content. If the materials contacting
the wood are around 20% or less in moisture content there shouldn't be a
problem. Most species of wood can stand up to a continuous exposure to
moisture up to a point.

In closing, what types of wood you will encounter in an old TF structure
isn't a certainty. While more experienced builders and house-wrights would
choose the timbers more carefully it must be remembered that a large number
of TF structures were owner built. Just as today, the levels of knowledge
and experience varied widely. However, if the structure lasted 150-200 years
it's likely that it was built by a knowlegeable builder and with well chosen
woods.

Best Regards,

Michael Shafer
Schäffer Wood Works