Cob earthen plaster on wood

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Fri Feb 5 09:15:25 CST 1999

On 01 February 1999 05:52, Keith Breuker
[SMTP:flyfisherkb at centuryinter.net] wrote:
> Does anyone have experience plastering wood with earthen plaster?
>
> I would like to plaster the poles and some other wooden areas in my SB
> house.  All wood is kiln dried and part of the interior of the house.  I
> would staple burlap to the wood and probably add some wood glue to the
> plaster mix to help with adhesion.
>
> Has anyone else done this?  What were the results?
>
> Keith

Plaster, earth, lime, and most other sorts I expect, adhere quite well to
any porous surface.  The surface shouldn't be too dry though when you apply
it, and of course if the subsequent expansion, shrinkage or any other
movements are different then the plaster is likely to crack, but not
usually to fall off. I'd be less concerned by adhesion than by the
cracking.  Traditional earth plaster on my house (17th century) uses hay in
the first coat and cow hair in the top coat.  The glue is more likely to
alter properties of the plaster (for good or bad I couldn't say) than make
it stick.

Another note, more to myself to remind me to investigate further, is that
experience so far is that the inside of cob walls, even in VERY wet weather
are very dry, they draw the moisture from the plaster far too quickly
unless you get them very wet first.  I know that clay soils have strange
properties where water is concerned, plants have difficulty drawing
moisture from them, and large quantities of water can sit on the surface
for long periods without much penetration to even short depths.  Also large
pieces of cob wall are much lighter, than bricks of the same size.  A brick
shrinks when made, but cob shrinks internally filling itself with small
voids, like it's got bubbles in it, so the insulating properties of cob
likely have nothing to do with straw, it's all to do with the properties of
clay soils.  In a way the straw helps to hold the clay apart as much as it
holds it together.

Michael Saunby