Cob cob balance beams

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Fri Feb 26 06:32:20 CST 1999

On 26 February 1999 02:32, Unleesh at aol.com [SMTP:Unleesh at aol.com] wrote:
> I work as a therapist and I want to construct a balance beam in the back
of my
> studio. I intend to have clients walk across it while talking to me about
> their situation, and note when and where they start to lose balance, as
an
> unconscious indication of where they are "off balance".
>
> I'd rather not use wood.
>
> Any recommendations for making a cob balance beam, say a half foot to
foot
> tall, 15-20 feet long, 3-4 inches across?
>
> Is there a way of waterproofing it so the rain won't simply wear it down?
What
> if I put plaster or something over it?

Cob garden walls are quite popular here.  They always have a stone base and
a tiled top.  If it stops raining over the weekend I might be able to take
a photo and put it on the web.  I wouldn't want to walk on one, but then
they are quite tall.

If you only want to go a foot high it will most likely be nearly all stone.
 Perhaps a raised earth bank with turf on would do a better job?

Michael Saunby