Cob slideshow tour report

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Tue Mar 9 13:59:46 CST 1999

Hi Everybody,      (sorry about the cross postings)

I recently showed my slide presentation entitled "Natural Building and Social Justice" eight times in eight nights all over the Northwest.  It was seen by almost 500 people.  It was enthusiastically received everywhere I went.

I would like to thank the following people and organizations for setting up events in their cities:

Chris Stafford & Doug Milholland of the NW EcoBuilding Guild in Port Townsend, WA

Moyra Stewart in Victoria, BC

Elke Cole and the Bar None Cafe in Courtney, BC

Ian Marcuse and others with the Down to Earth Building Bee in Vancouver, BC

Kahlia Root set up an event at Bellevue Community College near Seattle, WA

Tom St Louis & Sandra Fugate of the NW EcoBuilidng Guild in Olympia, WA

Thanks to everyone that helped!

The high point of the tour was my first night in Vancouver, BC.  From what I could tell, the Down to Earth Building Bee is a tiny grass roots environmental group.  Their main focus seems to be helping to build a cob structure on Indian land in Bella Coola, Canada.  They set up three events.  The first one packed a rather large hall with about 250 people.  The second night I presented to a cohousing community where about 25 people attended.  The final presentation in Vancouver was at La Quena Coffeehouse.  It was bulging at the seams with what must have been 100 people.  The success of my trip to Vancouver speaks to what a small group of committed activists can do when they set their minds to it.

My next plan is to tour California.  Any environmental or other contacts that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

For a bio and a full description of my slideshow check out: www.efn.org/~robtb/

Robert Bolman
888 Almaden St
Eugene, OR 97402