Cob Oven project

David Knapp DMKnapp at mail.rkd.snds.com
Tue Mar 16 15:49:16 CST 1999

Our boy scout troop has been experimenting with solar ovens these past couple years.  We have had some success, but as with many camping trips the weather is often cloudy or rainy.

I have proposed to the boys that we do a cob oven project at one of our favorite campsites in which permanent facilities are present (private land with pond -- owner is scout friendly).  We do allot of Dutch oven cooking, so the boys are familiar with some of the high mass, slower cooking along with the solar cooking too.

Right now we are in the phase of searching the cob archives and hunting down documentation that the boys can use before final plans are made for the construction.  I have already given them preliminary talks and we plan to split the project into several phases.  We can do the first layer of strawless cob in May after frost danger is past and then succeeding layers in late August, possibly doing the first firing next year in early spring depending on the documentation we find.

Dave Knapp
Winnebago, Illinois
http://www.bigfoot.com/~renewables/