Cob: Re: living roof

Don Stephens dsteph at tincan.tincan.org
Sun Mar 14 14:58:59 CST 1999

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Bob Ewing wrote:
> Greetings, I am looking for information on living roofs. Suggestions?

I've been designing ecohomes with "living roofs" since 1960. About 50% of
my clients choose this approach (most of the rest going to metal over
"ventilation slatting" running both ways on the underlying decking,
drawing off the solar-heated summer air beneath at the ridge to prevent
overheating and running it down ducts with a solar-driven fan to be
distributed through channels in the earth several feet beneath the floor,
thru which last summer's heat returns months later to maintain warmth
against winter losses.) But back to your inquery:

Planted earth-covered roofs not only greatly increase the effectiveness of
underlying insulation but also control rates of stormwater run-off,
preserve CO2-absorbing greenspace, provide habitat for little critters,
offer natural beauty and put the underlying waterproofing membranes in an
"environment" where they can be safe from UV, freeze/thaw-wet/dry cycling
and physical trauma, for maximum durability.  So much for the sermon....

Did you have specific questions about living roofs? (Or about annualized
heating based on solar-collecting metal roofs, for that matter?) I'll be
glad to try to answer them....Don Stephens,
                             "Design Consultant to the Lunatic Fringe"
                              -: }