Google
Web www.deatech.com

Cob: Fence building w/ Cob

John Hall hallsoi at netvigator.com
Sat Mar 20 21:01:13 PST 1999

Internet Mail wrote:

> I really want to build a fence on my property to increase privacy and to help block vehicle noise.  I've seen cob mentioned several times as a
good fencing mat

> I'm kinda fuzzy on some aspects, so my questions would be
>
> 1) Exposure to rain - I guess painting and waterproofing would help preserve the structure, but what to use?
>
> 2) Fence base - Level ground is needed, I'm assuming, but should the ground be lined w/ rock for stability, or is just packed earth stable
enough itself?  Woul

> 3)  Noise barrier - anyone have an idea how well the fence would absorb/reflect sound?  We live close to a 2-lane highway, and noise
control would certainly ma

> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> jeff

> I really want to build a fence on my property to increase privacy and
> to help block vehicle noise.  I've seen cob mentioned several times as
> a good fencing material, but have yet to hear anything specific on
> this.  It certainly seems much, much cheaper and more effective than
> conventional fencing - chain link (yuck), wooden fences, etc.
>
> I'm kinda fuzzy on some aspects, so my questions would be
>
> 1) Exposure to rain - I guess painting and waterproofing would help
> preserve the structure, but what to use?
>
> 2) Fence base - Level ground is needed, I'm assuming, but should the
> ground be lined w/ rock for stability, or is just packed earth stable
> enough itself?  Would the sod need to be dug up before plopping down
> the cob?
>
> 3)  Noise barrier - anyone have an idea how well the fence would
> absorb/reflect sound?  We live close to a 2-lane highway, and noise
> control would certainly make time spent outdoors more enjoyable.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> jeff

Jeff,

Cob has been used as garden and boundary walling successfully.  It's
normally built off a stone forndation (ideally 3' high to accomodate
rising moisture) built off stableish stratum.  It's nomally capped with
either thatch, or else slated.  If you have a good overhang, you
shouldn't need to worry too much about waterproofing the cob, although
a lime wash or similar might be good.  Consider sprinkling crushed glass
in the first lift or two to deter vermin burrowing - always a problem
outside.

John

Solar powered hosting (from our cob office building) provided by: DeaTech Research Inc. using Debian Linux based servers.  We highly recommend, use, and provide support services for Debian Linux Logo Debian Linux.

If you should have any problems with this page or website, please send email describing the problem(s) to: webmaster@deatech.com

Last Modified: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009 17:31:32 PST

If you wish to be permanently blocked from ever being able to send email to this domain, send your SPAM messages to: blackhole@deatech.com