Cob Need some *cob* help

Janet jbates at sowest.net
Mon Apr 5 17:52:32 CDT 1999

Thank you for responding Pat!

I don't think this is exactly good news for me.  When I followed
your instructions, I ended up with what appears to be about 85%
sand followed by 15% silt.  Being there were only two distinguishable
parts, I'm guessing that there is next to zip in the clay department.

Is there by chance a product on the market that I can add to make
up for the missing clay?  Is adding straw necessary?

When making tests bricks, is the time it takes to dry a factor in
whether you have a *good* brick?

How does one test for durability?  Should the brick be able to
withstand a drop from a certain height without breaking?

Lastly, for now ;), when making a structure such as a goat pen, does
one need to lay some sort of cob foundation to build the cob onto or
can one merely start building on flattened earth (or sand in my case)?

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Janet