Cob: July workshop

Candice Slaughter Warmke cwarmke at innet.com
Tue Jun 15 06:48:11 CDT 1999

Just a friendly reminder that we hope you can join us for
this fun weekend.  Candice Warmke

July Workshop on ^ÓStraw Bale Walls: Using Natural Materials
to Insulate a Recycled Barn Structure"

Conducted by Mark Hoberecht of Natural Homesteads
Sponsored by Philo Lumber Mining Company

Starting on Friday, July 23 at 7:00 p.m. Mark will provide
an overview, through slides and discussion of several
different natural building techniques, including straw bale,
cob and light straw/clay.  He will also discuss how best to
incorporate all three techniques into a single structure.
The rest of the evening will be spent organizing the
activities for the next day and a half.

A light meal will be provided at 7:30 p.m.  Breakfast each
day and Saturday dinner is on your own.  Lunch on Saturday
and Sunday will be provided.  Water containers are
available.

On Saturday, July 24 at 8:00 a.m., the real work of creating
the walls will begin by stacking bales around a corner of
the timber frame.  We will attach the bales to a rebar
exoskeleton (instead of pinning) and tie adjacent bales
together.  We will also incorporate a door and window frame
while stacking the bales.

On Sunday, July 25 we will make cob for placement around the
door and window, as well as mix up each of the three plaster
coats for application to the bales.

Accommodations:
The McNutt farm owned by Don and Patty McNutt is located at
6120 Cutler Lake Rd., just 10 minutes from the workshop.
This working farm family offers a beautifully restored
two-story log house as well as other types of rooms.  Please
mention you are attending our workshop in order to qualify
for a significant discount.  Call (740) 674-4555 for
reservations.

There is plenty of space for camping.  There is an outhouse,
electricity and a solar shower stall.  To reserve camping
space for $10 per night contact PLMC at (740) 674-7103.

Cost:
Cost for the weekend includes weekend workshop, straw bale
needle and 3 meals.  Registration of $100 is due by July
15.  The balance of $65 is due upon arrival.  If you wish to
bring a friend, you can receive a $55 discount for your
companion.  Cost for individuals:  $165 Cost for 2:  $280

The Location:
Philo Lumber Mining Company is located at Hacienda de la
Paz, a 40-acre property south of Zanesville, Ohio.  Take
Route 60 south from Interstate 70 to County Rd. 66 (Look for
Green Acres Pennzoil Gas Station on the right).  Turn right
on Co. Rd. 66.  At the stop sign, turn left.  Go about ¾ of
a mile until you approach a hill with a fork in the road.
Go up the hill (This is Virginia Ridge Road).  Take Virginia
Ridge about 2 ½ miles and begin looking for a large pink
mailbox marked 1190.  The lane is just beyond the mailbox.

Philo Lumber Mining Company
1190 Virginia Ridge Road
Philo, OH  43771
(740) 674-7103
cwarmk at innet.com

Please return with your payment
Make checks payable to Philo Lumber Mining Company
Thanks you!

Registration:

Name

Address

City/State/Zip______________________________________________________

Phone:  (day) ______________________ (evening)
________________________

Date of arrival: __________________  Amount paid:

Accommodations:

__I will be camping at Hacienda de la Paz and will be
brining a

 __Tent __RV __other

__I need information about

 __Motels __Bed and Breakfast