Cob: log and cob hybrids

Christine L Shearer-Cremean cscfa1 at scotus.sfcpa.edu
Mon Jun 28 10:26:06 CDT 1999

Hello Everyone:

I've been lurking on this list for awhile now and finally have a
question. My husband and I are interested in a cob home. We had
previously dreamed of clearing our own land and building our own
log home with trees from the property.  My husband is not quite
ready to abandon the idea of a log house. We both love the look of
cob, though. Is it possible to satisfy both inclinations? Build a
house partially of log, partially of cob?

Another concern we have is time. Both the cob books I've read
suggest "start small" so that the house can be completed in a
season.  Sounds like good advice to me--but how small is small?
We have kids, and both work full-time. I'm worried about taking on
a project that is doomed because we can't commit the necessary
time.  But if we built part of the house with logs, and then part cob,
perhaps we could finish the house in a season--at least big enough
so that we all could fit in there for a few months until we could build
on.

This list seems to be directed towards those with more expertise,
so I hope my questions don't seem too pedestrian.

Christine Shearer-Cremean