Cob: Re: Please Help, listers please read this

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Thu Jul 1 11:31:53 CDT 1999

On 01 July 1999 15:40, Sojourner [SMTP:sojournr at missouri.org] wrote:
>  Still don't have an
> outhouse, but am in the process of putting in a sawdust composting
> toilet.  See this URL for info on a sawdust toilet:
>
> http://www.rdrop.com/users/krishna/index.html

Question.  Why sawdust?  In the UK, back when Mr Crapper introduced the WC
there were others developing and selling "earth closets" (guess we'd call
them ECs if they were still used).  Some were quite sophisticated with a
handle that when pulled would release a measured amount of dry earth into
the pan.  I expect these went out of favour as the new sewerage systems
went into the cites and the dustmen (who took the "dust") away perhaps
charged too much for the service.  But since the "dust" would make good
compost it shouldn't be a problem to a self sufficient type.

Back to "why sawdust?"  If you shit in a bucket and throw sawdust in, it
still smells quite strongly of shit, but if you use earth, at least the
clay we have here, it only smells of damp earth.  Try it, all you need is a
bucket, and some sawdust, and some dry earth.

Michael Saunby