Cob: Re: Please Help, listers please read this

Mary Zan Warren mzan at arn.net
Thu Jul 1 13:48:16 CDT 1999

Liberaro at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/30/99 10:42:03 PM EST, mzan at arn.net writes:
>
> Thank you very much for responding to my call for help.  However, I cannot
> BELIEVE the response I got from you.  I decided to post your letter to me,
> and my response, to the cob list as a whole because I believe that there are
> other people on the list who could add to this discussion, help me defend
> myself, and help calm your fears about the safety of my children.  PLEASE be
> clear, I love my children and care about their health, safety and welfare
> more than ANY other person in the world.
>
> << I am on the cob list, and just received your letter above. I'm not a
>  building code inspector nor a lawyer and I deeply sympathize with you.
>  However, I am curious as we are planning on building a cob house someday.
>  What sort of setup do you have for a bathroom and how/where do you get
>  your water? Is your house in town?>>
>
> we have a 1500 gal. underground cement cistern (in its own house) for shower,
> dish, and general washing up water.  it is regularly filled with tap water
> from town by a local water delivery company.  my husband works at the health
> food store in town and so we get all of our drinking and cooking water from
> there (in the form of several 5 gal jugs per week).  we have a sump pump with
> a garden hose attached to the cistern and we turn the pump on and off through
> a breaker switch in the house, which is how we fill the 5 gal. "solar shower"
> which is hanging above the kitchen sink.  we keep that filled and voila we
> have running water, albeit 5 gallons at a time.  And No, our house is not in
> town, we are far outside of town in the county.  regarding our bathroom
> facilities - we have 40 acres.
>
> <<Having done business with the building code inspector recently on the other
> side of the fence I could understand why there would even be codes. If you're
> using an open latrine or
>  port-a-potties, there could be a serious health hazzard to you, your  baby,
> your whole family and all those who live in close proximity with you. Even
> urine seeping into the ground from 1,000 ft in distance is harmful and
> hazzardous to the health of everyone downstream ....or next door. >>
>
> I and my entire family eat nothing but organic food and none of us has been
> sick in forever, we're healthy as horses.  as i mentioned above, we have 40
> acres of land, as for the comment that "urine seeping into the ground from
> 1,000 ft distance is harmful and hazzardous to the health of everyone
> downstream".... the nearest dirt road is over 3,000 ft. away, there is nobody
> next door, and i don't pee in a stream (there are none even if i wanted to).
> furthermore, it was my understanding that urine was sterile (unless there is
> some specific disease present).  as a matter of fact, Gandhi started the day
> by drinking some of his own urine (i'm not advocating this).
>
> <<Even when you go camping, there are rules to follow about urine and feces
> [...]
things. I think if you will go back and re-read your very first letter to
the cob list, you will see how it really sounds. It 'sounded' as if you
were living in an old garage somewhere, hiding out from the building code
inspector and not having proper facilities. You should have explained all
this in your FIRST letter. It sounds as if you are afraid of me. I dont
have any desire to try to hunt you down or turn you in the welfare for
any reason. I do however, question your decision to not install plumbing
when you do have money in the bank to do so. That is something that I
wouldn't do to my own kids. But you are you and you alone, along with
your children, must live with the choices that you are making about how
to live. So that will be up to you. Since you posted my letter without my
permission on the cob list, I've received all kinds of mail from people
who agree with me about the dangers of pooping on the ground for a
permanent solution, not a temporary weekend 'camping' experience. Also I
received one nasty hate letter from a 'cobber? who thinks its mature to
call people cockroaches. If I was the sort of person that this letter
writer is, I would plaster his name all over the cob list. Name calling
is so childish. I assumed by your posting your problem on the cob list
that it was open for discussion. I tried discretion with you but you took
it upon yourself to post my private letter to you for the world to see,
so now I assume you want this public and am confused by the fact that NOW
you want me to forget you. This is confusing.  I think you probably ought
to do more reasearch from reliable sources about your choice and be open
to change if need be for your sake as well as your children's. But then
again, that's your decision.
Did I mention that once my husband and 3 kids lived in a terrible old tin
house with only a woodstove to warm us? WE enjoyed the lifestyle. WE had
a septic tank. We noticed the grass grew so well over it, we planted a
garden there on top of it, all in ignorance of course, about 20 years
ago, and we had a bumper crop of veggies. But.....we all kept getting
sick and staying sick with such things as staph infections, bacterial
infections, and eventually my baby girl had to be hospitalized with a
strange form of bacteria. After the dr sent it to the lab, we found out
that it had come from eating the vegetables planted over the top of the
septic system. ANd it was below ground!!! I would have never knowingly
risked my baby's life in order to have a garden there. WE had someone
check out the septic system and it had improperly been installed and was
leaking germs, bacteria into the ground all around the house. the
building code inspector came and said we had to install a new septic
system or move. We lived in a small community of about 150, almost in the
country. WE had bought that house for $15,000. Took a loss of 10,000 on
it when we had to sell it in order to move. But...my children became
healthier when we left and had less infections, etc. So, since I
personally can't put a price tag on a human life, especially my
childrens, I can honestly look back and say, yes, the $10,000 loss really
hurt us, really set us back, but at least no one became ill again. to me,
it was worth it. I guess you have to ask yourself if the cost of indoor
plumbing is worth keeping your kids healthy or keeping the welfare off
your back, IF that is the case. BUt please don't think you have anything
to fear from me, I was only trying to help. You can't print a letter like
yours on a national cob list and then say, hey, forget me. It doesn't
happen that way. By the way, I wanted to ask. How old are your children
and how do THEY Feel about not having toliet facilities?
Since I know you will probably put this one on the entire cob list too,
let me address the issue of the man who sent me the nasty letter calling
me filthy names. WHat a childish way to voice your opinion. Is that all
you've learned in your adult life, or are you an adult? I will not open
any letters from you so don't bother to send them. If you can't discuss
something reasonably in an adult way, I will not discuss them with you.
It shows your mental age as well as your education level and how you
handle and deal with issues that make you uncomfortable, by name calling.
that's what my 4 year old granchildren do. God bless you anyway.

Trina, I wish you the best of luck but in my state, the building code
inspectors can't inspect something outside the city limits. I'm surprised
that since you live out, they could even make such a visit. I'll be
praying for you and your little family. I understand your plight. Be
careful about decisions affecting your children. THey're only here one
time around. God bless you and help you.
sincerely mz