Cob: outdoor plumbing

Jljcorona at aol.com Jljcorona at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 17:05:39 CDT 1999

I live near Los Angeles.  Last week they dumped tons of raw sewage in a
 public city park.  They were experimenting with 'what ifs' preparing for Y2K.
  And that's the result they got.  Spilling human waste in the middle of the
 city!  Is this a sign of more to come?

 A few years ago I worked in the backcountry of Yosemite building trails.  For
 a latrine we dug a 'grave' (a hole that was nearly 6 feet) and situated a
 couple of polls running across with toilet seats strapped down.  I was
 working for the park service, a governmental agency.  They told us it was
 completely safe and sanitary.  They had been doing it for years and years out
 there and no one ever got sick because of it.

 The point is there are going to be some health risks no matter what we do or
 where we live.  Even always going by the 'code' doesn't prevent them.  In
 fact, this apartment building I live in right now was built by the code but I
 am sure that toxins are running rampant.  Mold growing in the crawl space,
 gas fuming from the stove...not to mention the dirty L.A. air I breathe in
 every day.  Yet, I'm supposed to feel safe because my building has been
 inspected and built properly.

 Jeannie