Cob: urban myth

Brian King cgtbrian at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 13:38:56 CDT 1999

Sojourner wrote:

> MS SHELLEY V CORBIN wrote:
> >
> > i have always reconnized the power of words and i have been noticing
> > folks replacing what used to be call tall tales or rumours as "urban
> > legends" whether it takes place in an urban area or not. whats up
> > with that? and btw,i live in the city, the inner city and i like it
> > well enough, its certainly not child abuse as some would suggest.
>
> Well, I called this particular myth (about exploding outhouses) an
> "urban myth" because only an urbanite would hold that peculiar notion
> for long.
> <snip>
> Holly ;-D

Exploding outhouses is unlikely but fire in sewers are not.  For that
mater pop the
lid of the septic tank agitate the contents with a length of pipe and wait
for the
bubbles, they will come.  Light it with a burning rag and watch what
happens -- set up a camera and share the fun.

Can anyone tell me why our society feels it necessary to purposely fowl
our potable water and then leach it back into the aquifer, and then
threaten those that do not buy into it. This is neither sustainable or
noble.

Trina and her family is facing a nightmare, for living in a most noble
manner.  Is society and its laws best for everyone?  Should we all have to
live in the city connected to the grid for power, water, phone, sewage?
Does it serve us well that all homes must be made from 2x4's,2x6's, 2x8's
and stucco?  This list should not be a place that Trina, or anyone else
should be berated for how they live but given all the help and support
that we can.  After all, are they not working in the right direction?  Ok
gang, what can we do to help out these kids?  Remember that if they become
successful it will make it easier for us all.
Brian King
cgtbrian at earthlink.net