Cob: urban myth

Sojourner sojournr at missouri.org
Thu Jul 1 20:49:34 CDT 1999

MS SHELLEY V CORBIN wrote:

> i have always reconnized the power of words and i have been noticing
> folks replacing what used to be call tall tales or rumours as "urban
> legends" whether it takes place in an urban area or not. whats up
> with that? and btw,i live in the city, the inner city and i like it
> well enough, its certainly not child abuse as some would suggest.

Well, I called this particular myth (about exploding outhouses) an
"urban myth" because only an urbanite would hold that peculiar notion
for long.

I don't think anybody was trying to suggest that living in the city
constitutes child abuse so much as trying to counter the notion that
lack of running water or indoor plumbing is (child abuse).

Holly ;-D