Cob: Re: spaying lime and white cement

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Tue Jul 6 20:16:25 CDT 1999

Well Grace, I think it's the same list, just a bit hot out is all....

I figured I'd give a report on my texture gun sprayed cob wall.
You see I purchased this texture spray gun that runs off a air
compressor.

I mixed some lime putty with some of my Georgia red clay and a bit of
sand. I had to make the mix more watery than I normally use for hand
plastering because the gun kept jamming up otherwise.

The wall turned out nice however and had a nice finish.  I did spray
the cob wall with a mist prior to using the lime spray finish.
It had a sort of peach color when the red clay was diluted with the
lime plaster. The man advantage is that it can put a thinner coat than
I could have done by hand.

Oh yea, I used some white cement to seal and water proof my
ferro-cement roof (over the dome). It really looks nice and it is very
very white. It was quite economical, as it was about 10 dollars for a
96 lb bag and it took 1 1/2 bags to seal my dome (11 ft radious)

As anyone else done anything with the white cement which from what I
understand is not really a true cement.

Pat
on the cob list
here in Mauk