Cob: Insulation

Renewables at aol.com Renewables at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 11:31:08 CDT 1999

Shane,

Ash is a very good insulator, but only if kept dry.  It was one of the
ingredients we used when making a portable rocket stove.  Kind of a Y2K
camping stove made out of a 5 gallon pail with a 3 inch metal vent pipe (w/90
degree elbow coming out).  Fill the pail with ashes and the vent pipe with
small sticks and you have a snappy little camp stove that gets hot very fast
and burns a surprising long time on a little scrap fuel.

As far as insulating your walls or ceiling, it would take a lot of it and it
tends to smell real bad in enclosed quarters.  Most of mine ended up getting
spread on the raised garden beds.  Others may have more practical ways to use
it though.

Dave