peanut shells was Cob: Insulation for cob

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Thu Jul 8 20:17:53 CDT 1999

Hi, Van Wey Family,
I live in the southern USA (as in middle GA as in Peanut country)
I've added the discarded peanut shells to cob and it held together
quite well. I don't have a clue as to the insulation value of this
mixture but I know that rather than buy any more straw for my cob, I'll
start using free peanut shells instead. I plan on attempting a whole
wall with them in a couple of months.

I have also mixed some of the peanut shells with some cement and we
made these large jars(or vases) which we placed in the ground and
filled with water to allow the water to seep out to the plants
surrounding it. Again it has  held together quite well so far (we
picked it up and moved it) and it's been in the ground for about a year
and has not rotted or crumbled yet.

Remember these are real peanut shells, not the styroform type, we're
talkin the Jimmy Carter type.
Pat
Mauk, GA
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk