Cob: Re: Re: Blackwater systems, plus a humanure question

pagani at juno.com pagani at juno.com
Thu Jul 8 20:46:29 CDT 1999

Bill,
 As to your question about any experiences with humanure composting and
local officials, we have some insight (we've been composting humanure
almost constantly over the last 2 years). I can say for certain that we
have never had any trouble with officials in two states or in the Denver
metro area. How is this you ask? It's simple, since it's none of their
business, we don't let them know. If, when the atmospheric conditions are
right and the planets are lined up the pile will smell somewhat. If it
does, we just tell the neighbors that we're composting pig, goat, horse,
or sumatran tiger manure (nudge nudge wink ;>).
Look at it pragmatically, if it's safe and doesn't impose itself on the
community, there's nothing any "nofficial " can say. After all, do they
come into your home and tell you flush every time you go into a bowl of
drinking water (that's what a water waste toilet is right)?  Just don't
fret about it, it's safe, environmentally sound, and you'll sleep better
knowing you've closed the loop on the human/nutrient cycle.

Raven Talmhain
pagani at juno.com