Cob: Insulation /tile plaster

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jul 16 11:18:37 CDT 1999

>G'morning people of the mud...
>

>New line of questioning...  How about covering the outside of a cob wall
>(or structure) with a mosaic of tile?  A friend of mine is interested in
>cob as a base for her mosaic art - m Tile doesn't breathe too
>well, and neither would the grout I imagine (a form of cement?).

Bedding the tiles in a pure lime:sand plaster would work. No cement at all
it will weaken the mix...just lime and sharp sand, against a cob wall this
was traditional anyway, so breability is not hindered, and the earth to
lime contact is beneficial.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-441-1632
More than 300 books for Building & Sustainable living
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/