Cob: RE: Insulation

Grace Benjamin grey_sea at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:48:48 CDT 1999

Hello Sean;

I think I responded to one of your posts before, the questions about New
England seem so familiar, maybe it was someone else though.

As far as building with cob in New England;  There's a man named Jan at
Sirus Community, who's built a cob house, and is in the process of obtaining
permitting.  You can search Sirius Community at

www.ic.org

and e-mail him through there.  He's happy to give tours and information
about the house.

In regards to alternative building in Northern New England, a friend of
mine- Luc Reid is organizing an intentional community in Southern Vermont,
if he himself doesn't have insight about the codes of the area, he will know
someone who does.  You can reach him at

Luc.J.Reid at sb.com

tell him Grace sent you his way.

Lastly, in reference to building a chilly vault, Jan has told me that the
cob house is comfortable during winter without any heat at all, if you've
your coat and gloves on.  He's in Massachusetts near Northampton.  Most
conventional houses are about the same or worse- without any heat on- I've
found.  Personally, after considerable research, I'm doing a cob-straw
hybrid for a location in central CT.  I'll need to build that around a
timber-frame structure to meet code though.

Vermont Timber Frames has really affordable prices for what they offer.  A
very modest frame, for a 1200 sqft home is around $14K erected on-site.  I
don't have their web address on hand, but they will come up nearly first if
you search them on yahoo!.

I hope this info helps.
Love to you and yours,
G.