Cob: RE: Insulation

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 23:53:30 CDT 1999

Sean

<<How would aforementioned (a week ago?) double wall with an air space
between techniques work?  The air space should be a pretty good layer of
insulation, yah? >>

No - an air space is NO insulation - that is to say, when your outer cob wall
 freezes so will your inner wall.

<<Anyone done this?  What kind of wall thicknesses were used?  I imagine
it might have to be fairly large for stability of each wall - 1-2 feet
thick each?  And how much airspace?>>

IMHO this is one of the less estute ideas to be suggested on the list - I
mean, its enough expense & work to build ONE cob wall - why build two simply
to insulate your building - bad idea !!!!!!!

<<Would packing the airspace with straw help or hinder?>>

It would help - straw is VERY good insulation

<<You would have to ensure that there were no bridges between inner and
outer walls to preserve the insulation qualities of the airspace, right?
Would you build 2 free standing, non contacting walls and connect them
only through the roof?>>

To paraphrase that old song about banannas  - Yes there are no
baridges......there are no baridges today !!!!
- BUT at the risk of being pedantic - this double cob wall idea is really too
dumb to even consider
- OHHHH how opinionated .......!!!!!

<<I want to build a structure (or perhaps even structures in the north-east
somewhere (NY or New England), but I have these nagging concerns that I will
just end up building a chilly vault (at least in the winter).  >>

Not if you make it passive solar with some sort of heating backup ( wood
burning is pretty low tech & (dare I use the s word) ssssustainable ).  Think
simple - put a winter coat of bales around the cold side of your building &
plaster it with good old mud... no sweat, easy & low cost low labor.

cob on
John Fordice
TCCP
otherfish at aol.com