Cob: Re: Blackwater systems, plus a humanure question

David Knapp DMKnapp at mail.rkd.snds.com
Wed Jul 7 16:30:11 CDT 1999

I think it is worth it, but can be expensive for counties and states with no experience in it.

Colorado is potentially only a couple years away from approving a modified form of the Watson Wick pumice treatment system.  It's a cousin of the system the earthships are now using.  Once approved for general use in CO without an experimental permit, it'll be easier to show other states an example of what can work.

Dave

>>> "William Lewis" <wmlewis at thebestisp.com> 07/07 9:00 AM >>>
Warning: opinionated statements ahead. . .

I just read "The Humanure Handbook" (avail through amazon.com) and am
impressed with the ultra-low-tech, cheap, and effective (read safe) method
of composting human waste. The Earthship concept is impressive, too, if you
don't mind what seems to me to be an incredibly complex array of
technologies and gadgets--but perfect for the engineer-type person with
money to spend. Just read the explanation below of the myriad steps in the
grey/black water process! I for one want to get back to the land and
simplify my life, not make it more complex with systems upon systems.

But I'm just speaking for myself, and I'm not trying to knock the Earthship
people for their efforts, which are considerable--and they certainly have
their heads in the "right" place. There is a place for every eco-soul in the
sustainable building movement.

If you all (English needs a plural form of "you") haven't already done so,
you owe it to yourselves to check out The Humanure Handbook before deciding
on an expensive treatment system.

Here's a question to all humanure composters out there: what experiences
have you had with the local building code/health bureaucracies? This was not
well addressed in The Humanure Handbook.

Being that officialdom is more easily impressed (enthralled?) with high-tech
solutions for everything (a condition of the mind that affects most
Americans), I imagine it might be more difficult to win over those people to
the composting concept than the idea of building with straw. I think it's
worth the effort, though. Anyone else think so?

Bill Lewis