Cob: Real information

Wagzie at aol.com Wagzie at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 18:01:17 CDT 1999

I've only been on this list for a short while, but I have yet to see anything
discussed about the construction of cob buildings.  What I have read so far
has been people  discussing issues that are related to sustainability, which
I would think most people in this group are very concerned with, but I
haven't seen any one talking about cob construction except for insulation.

As an owner of a self built earth bermed passive solar house with the
insulation on the exterior of the 8" concrete walls, insulation is MUST
especially in northern climates.  Although my house does not go below 55*F in
the winter, it is nearly impossible to warm up the mass with solar energy or
the wood stove.  It is quite easy to heat up the air, but an entirely
different matter to heat up the thermal concrete.
A cob building in the north must somehow be insulated or the exterior
envelope will loose all the heat that is generated by whatever form.  From my
experience with an overly constructed thermally mass house, I think that the
thermal mass must be isolated from the interior space conditioning unless you
use a radiant floor and radiant wall heat, then insulate the mass on the
exterior.

How would heating the thermal mass walls with radiant heat affect the
longevity of the cob walls?  I sure do not have an answer for that.  I won't
even get into the discussion of what to use to supply the radiant heating
system.  From all my experience in energy efficiency, the only way to heat a
mass is through radiant heat and unless you live in the Southwest, I don't
think the sun will suffice.

However, thermal mass works wonders in the summer time, especially if you
insulate on the exterior side of the insulation and I'm sure this is true of
Cob construction.  Here in SW Ohio, summer moisture is the problem that is
most difficult to deal with and thermal mass does little or nothing to help
alleviate moisture problem.

The problem is still:  how to insulate a cob structure?  A difficult question
with no easy answers if you want to use the cob as your interior finish.
Insulating a cob structure is complicated and will probably increase the cost
of construction significantly.

One suggestion that I have not seen is to sandwich a 2" piece of polystyrene
between  the cob wall with a method of tying the two walls together, which is
a thermal break, but for structural integrity, it would seem that it would be
required.  I guess the other way would be to use styrofoam on the interior
and exterior with cob in between similar to the insulated forms that use
concrete instead of cob.  However, then you are limited to straight lines and
corners and can't utilize curved walls or roof lines as easily.

Spray on cellulose is another option to insulate the interior of the walls.
This is not a DIY job because of the expense of the equipment, but it would
work well on curved and unusual design elements.

One question I have about Cob construction is how to stop the moisture in the
ground wicking up into the floor and walls?  Moisture migration is a serious
problem in the midwest in the summers.

If there are any who have built with cob here in sw Ohio or SE Indiana,
please contact me.  I would love to see a cob building.