Google
Web www.deatech.com

Cob: Insulation

Keftydia at aol.com Keftydia at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 19:02:25 PDT 1999

Regarding cob homes in cooler northern climates, I'm no expert, but I suspect
the only viable solution (unless a way to properly insulate cob can be
determined) is a cob-strawbale hybrid, most likely with exterior walls of
strawbale and interior walls of cob.  This is certainly not a new idea and it
has been stated on the list before, but I do think it's probably the best
solution.

I have a problem to the contrary.  Here in hot, humid South Carolina (USA), I
question whether cob is a good choice for building.  We routinely reach
temperatures in the upper 90's a good portion of the year.  I know cob's
property of balancing high-low temperatures, but I suspect overall the
ambient temperature would become a bit too high for comfort.  I wouldn't want
to construct a cob home only to find I had created a large-scale solar oven.

Ideally, I'd to hear from folks who live in cob homes in warmer climates and
find out what their experiences have been.

Ron

Solar powered hosting (from our cob office building) provided by: DeaTech Research Inc. using Debian Linux based servers.  We highly recommend, use, and provide support services for Debian Linux Logo Debian Linux.

If you should have any problems with this page or website, please send email describing the problem(s) to: webmaster@deatech.com

Last Modified: Wednesday, 09-Dec-2009 19:31:37 CST

If you wish to be permanently blocked from ever being able to send email to this domain, send your SPAM messages to: blackhole@deatech.com