Cob: Where to build COB structures

H. Wayne hcrowbird at lawtonnet.net
Mon Jul 19 09:59:06 CDT 1999

    A few folks have expressed concerns about building COB in a hot dry climate.  The bottom line is that is the best place to build a single story COB home or structure.  COB seems to prefer dry and hot climates.  Moisture problems are near unheard of in dry climates with COB.  COB dries out faster in hot, dry air, and construction can continue at a faster pace.
    Another nice thing about COB is it seems cooler inside on HOT days then most other types of structures.  The same has been reported of thick walled adobe, rammed earth, concrete, and other "earth" material structures.  Even cord wood walls, which are also thick do well in hot, dry climates.  I suppose that was one of the reasons a lot of folks who already lived in thick walled "earth" homes did not seem to need the new fangled air conditioners when they came out.  In New Mexico a lot of folks still do not seem to need air conditioners even in stick frame and tar paper homes and get by just fine with a "swamp cooler".  The air moving through a wet matte material seems to be all that is needed, even though the stick frame homes are poorly insulated, some without any insulation.  That was the way my house was and I never needed more than the swamp cooler even on the hottest days.  Kind of strange when you consider I was a Florida boy and loved my air conditioners.
    Wayne