Cob: Concrete, reduce, reuse, eliminate!

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Jul 19 13:33:41 CDT 1999

DAVE... HOLLY Sojourner <sojournr at missouri.org>  said this NOT ME!!!

  crtaylor wrote:  <-----NO NO NO..not me Holly

>> Lumber, adobe mixes, sand, gravel - all of these building materials
>> nearly always have to be harvested/mined from SOMEWHERE, and trucked to
>> where ever you are using them.  Concrete's no worse, IMO.  In fact, from
>> the standpoint of longevity of the building, a concrete building that
>> lasts virtually forever actually could be said to leave a smaller
>> footprint on the earth's ecology - as opposed to the current fad for
>> stick-frame buildings that are often decrepit and require extensive
>> repairs in 20 or 30 years, and are usually a lost cause in less than 50.

Charmaine- (CR Taylor) speaking:
 I said I don't want to see a cement based papercrete mix and cob together
because the two then are  not recycleable. for all the reasons Dave
mentioned cement may end up in landfills forever.  COb will melt back to
the earth. I was saying paper/cement and wire if used, should be used
alone, not with cob over top.

 and that was my opinion as to why it was a bad idea, each person can do as
they wish, but most want to ask and learn about building with cob on this
list.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-441-1632
More than 300 books for Building & Sustainable living
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/