Cob: Concrete, reduce, reuse, eliminate!

David Knapp renewables at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 10:02:38 CDT 1999

Charmaine,

Hi and thanks for the reply  :-)

This email stuff gets really confusing at times  :-)  I forget now who said
it was a bad idea, but I know it wasn't me (even though I agree with you
completely).

How does one stay on Holly's good side?  I guess it is better to stay out of
her way?  :-)

I'm headed to scout camp for three days in NW Illinois.  Of course they are
predicting heavy rains and flash flood warning for the next 72 hours.  Oops,
I guess I better bring everything waterproof!

Sheila and I loved the earthships we stayed in, but just can't seem to
justify the large expense.  We are now thinking pretty much a light
timberframe shell, straw bale in-fill, and a cob plaster.  We will then add
a greenhouse onto the front, using a gray water recycling recovery system
and solar black water treatment just like the earthships use.  Having a
working example at Sundial Village helped us visualize what we wanted/needed
real well.  Now we just have to pick what area of the country it will be in.
Rico, CO was great, but it is a bring your own job with you town.  It is a
great place for mail order home business, but a long drive for groceries.
They get a lot of snow there.  'd certainly be organizing a food coop too.
An additional external greenhouse would also be way of life for growing
veggies reliably at 8,800 feet.

Talk to you soon!

Take care,

Dave