Cob: testing using scale models

DoNegard at aol.com DoNegard at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 20:22:46 CDT 1999

Wayne
<<How about building 2 or 3 scale models not much bigger than a 5'x6' shed
 of each construction type?>>
Boy have you got me thinking.  This seems like an ideal way to evaluate
construction types, what with having identical environmental conditions, so
essential to getting a true comparison.

<< If your windows, doors and etc. are left out, you would know more about the
 construction + insulation type effects.
 The basic idea is to heat both structures with the same amount of fuel
 expenditure, and see which cools off sooner.
     The true nature of insulation values are also interested in ability to
 hold cold air.  So you might do the same test using piped in air
 conditioning until your core reached the desired temperature.  (make a note
 on how long it took) Then measure how long the core stays cool after the
 cold air is removed (reseal the structure).>>
You could also put a hundred pound block of ice in each structure and time it
from ice to water.  I can see one kind of test being run right on top of
another, every few days, waiting only until some kind of temperature
stabilization occurs  before moving on to the next test.  I have friends 7
miles from my house that might let me set up such structures, with both
wooded and open areas on the same land.  Thanks much for your ideas.

Don in Hot Springs, SD