Cob: human comfort factors (was insulation)

John Schinnerer John-Schinnerer at data-dimensions.com
Wed Jul 21 12:54:36 CDT 1999

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: DoNegard at aol.com [mailto:DoNegard at aol.com]
>It seems to me, that unless the factors that affect human comfort and well
>being were put into some kind of formula, we could guess and guess forever
on
>the benefits of this and that building system.  Does anyone have such a
>system, or would they like to join in an attempt to design such a system?

In a recent post I listed the ways in which how we humans sense and gain or
lose warmth and coolth are typically explained scientifically - convection
(air movement), conduction (direct contact) and radiation.  I can't make a
"formula" out of these, but considering how building with certain materials
(such as cob) and using certain heating/cooling methods/sources relates to
each one can say a lot about the eventual comfort and energy use of a
building.

John Schinnerer