Cob: longevity of structures

John Schinnerer John-Schinnerer at data-dimensions.com
Tue Aug 31 19:56:44 CDT 1999

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Saunby [mailto:mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK]
>...But there must be problems with people embedding technology in houses,
even
>"green" technology, if it isn't also likely to have a very long life.
>Bathrooms and kitchens for example rarely last more than a decade.

...as do most appliances (except perhaps stoves and refrigerators).  As far
as I can tell, though, bath and kitchen redos are mostly because of fashion
changes and/or crappy materials/workmanship replacement, not functional
shortcomings.  Most kitchen and bath remodels I see or hear of or read about
are for looks; some are necessary because low-durability and/or
inappropriate materials were used or some aspects were done incorrectly and
fell apart quickly.  A few (such as the ones I did at my parents' home,
which *were* also partly cosmetic and partly to replace crappy materials
that were falling apart) make some improvements on functionality, ease of
use, and perhaps energy conservation.

John Schinnerer