Cob: COB on basements?

sabrina free setfree at tir.com
Mon Nov 1 07:07:02 CST 1999

Hello,
I am in Michigan and have limited knowledge at this point about cob.  My
dream is to build a small cob house in the boonies here in lower Michigan.
At this time I live in the middle of the state and have no real knowledge of
the southern part where the house will be.
What I am wondering is, is it feasible to build a cob house on a basement?
I realise that a lot of the country doesn't even have basements and have
even had people wonder why anyone in their right mind would WANT a basement.
I happen to like them.
I am not necessarily talking about making the basement OUT of cob.  Yet
having a poured or cement block basement under a cob house seems a little
weird, and expensive.  Any suggestions, either how to do this, or where to
look for ideas?
Sabrina Free