Cob: Re: cob walkways- use lime-the benefit

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Nov 2 15:34:45 CST 1999

>No idea where lime is produced in the US.  In the UK limestone is fairly
>common in many areas. It gives off carbon dioxide when "burnt" doesn't it?
> Hardly a big problem I'd have thought.
>
>Produce only what you need and use it only when you need it -
>sustainability is more about common sense than choice of materials.
>
>Michael Saunby

Good answer Michael, the shorest answer is limestone is calcined lower
energy than Portland cement, and both give off carbon dioxide, and LIME
reabsorbs it when used, slowly over time, while cement never does. Lime
gains strength as it recarbonates, turning back into limestone. Cement is
said to contribute 4% of CO2 pollution to the earth, and since you see so
many big honking freeways made of it we in the US are mostly responsible.
which is why people are turning to lime in natural building.

plus as Michael says, any soil ( almost) can benefit, and you use whatcha'
got...

one last comment, both lime producers ( 60+ in US all over wherever
limestone deposits are) and cement producers are held to very very strict
emmissions standards with EPA etc regs.  this is why an individual burning
his/her own limestone to make quicklime is not a good idea...no controls,
limited quality assurance, etc etc...but it has been done for thousands of
years..the first cement was Roman cement, burned limestone and then clay
added to make a natural cement...hence all my comments on using hydrated
lime to add to clay/soil!

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing 1-888-441-1632
PO Box 6985,Eureka CA 95502