Cob: Re: cob walkways- use lime-the benefit

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Wed Nov 3 02:53:21 CST 1999

On 02 November 1999 21:35, crtaylor [SMTP:tms at northcoast.com] wrote:
> one last comment, both lime producers ( 60+ in US all over wherever
> limestone deposits are) and cement producers are held to very very strict
> emmissions standards with EPA etc regs.  this is why an individual
burning
> his/her own limestone to make quicklime is not a good idea...no controls,
> limited quality assurance, etc etc...but it has been done for thousands
of
> years..the first cement was Roman cement, burned limestone and then clay
> added to make a natural cement...hence all my comments on using hydrated
> lime to add to clay/soil!

And then Medieval builders came along and recovered the old Roman plaster
and burnt it again to reuse it for their cathederals, etc. Don't think
you'd be allowed to do that again as the archeologists would complain.  Of
course the trouble is every 500 years or so buildings wear out and you have
to start again, so it pays to use material that can be recycled :-)  Tha
nkfully my house has another 200 years to go, so major building projects
are unlikely to be a feature of my lifetime.

Michael Saunby