Cob: RE: Cob In Canada

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Sat Nov 13 04:54:44 CST 1999

On 12 November 1999 15:48, 2beers [SMTP:2beers at primeline.net] wrote:
> Everything I have read in this list seems to be about building in warm
climates.
> and No One is addressing the problems of pests such as earth critters
like worms
> ants any other burrowing creatures there are several...

And everything I read, especially concerns about the suitability of cob to
climates, gives no detail of climate, other than vague terms like "wet",
"dry", "warm", or "cold".

We get mice and ants in our walls, a worm would die instantly through the
desiccating effect of dry clay; our walls have a very high clay content.
This "pest" (or habitat sharing) "problem" has been going on for centuries
and has done no serious damage.

My personal experience of living in a cob house in this climate
http://www.meto.govt.uk/sec3/england/climate.html is that it's comfortable
all year round, especially in the summer when it regulates daily
temperature changes very well.

Rainfall  http://www.meto.govt.uk/sec3/england/rainfall.html (use Plymouth
figures)

Sunshine http://www.meto.govt.uk/sec3/england/sunshine.html

For historical data see
http://www.meto.govt.uk/sec5/CR_div/UK_Climate/index.html
N.B. Most surviving cob houses in Devon were built 1600 to 1800 when
average temperatures were significantly lower than today, though of course
the builders knew nothing of climate change!

Michael Saunby