Cob: bullet resistance

roger karl rogerkarl at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:03:30 CST 1999

   Hi, Roger here. WELL I can answer on both counts. I was in England in the
early 70's with the U.S. Air Force. On several occasions we when out and did
drills. At a place called Green-on-Common, we did fire- fights. We had
AR-15s, M-14s and 30 cal. BMGs.
   There where several tudor house and some dirt buildings( more like sod
that cob ) that we shot at. The tudor had 12" to 16" walls and the soddys
about 20".  The BMG when though all( like a bug eating wood ), the M-14
would sometime ( the wet sod stopped most and the tudor did half/half. The
AR-15 had its work cut out for it( they buried in about half way ).
   As for" Mother Nature ", my brother lived in George for years and there
was a farm near him. On the farm was a ice house and some old ram-earth type
of buildings. They had several" Bad " storms there and these buildings stood
very well( once he and his ex were caught out in one and a hut of dirt was
their shelter, he though he could have blown it down by the looks of it, BUT
it held ).
  If anyone else has any infor, I would be interested too.