Cob: new to list, and cob

Mike Carter and Carol Cannon cobcrew at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 7 09:47:37 CST 2000

>    Strawbale wrapping the exterior cob walls and which are then plastered.
>  >>

>UHHHH if you are gonna do this, why not just build with straw bale ???
>:Linda Lloyd

Well, there are a few reasons that come to mind (I'm sure others can add):

Cob + strawbale outside should outperform strawbale alone, thermally.

Cob is structural by its nature; strawbale not used as infill depends on
render for strength.

You can use smaller strawbales, saving material.  The balers can be adjusted
within a certain range.

Cob may be a "poor" insulator but it is not without insulation value,
especially if you make it thick.

The clay in cob walls buffers humidity as shown by testing in research labs.

You might want to sculpt furniture and niches into your interior wall.

Mike