Cob: Re: Cob, straw, other such ramblings

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Fri Jan 7 09:57:24 CST 2000

> UHHHH if you are gonna do this, why not just build with straw bale ???
> :Linda Lloyd

Good reply Linda!

anyway, I've been able to get some cobing in even though it's
January. I've been experimenting with various amounts of straw. I
began this project with the idea of using less straw but as time as
passed, I've grown fond of using more straw.

Just curious on other's thoughts on the amount of straw other folks
use. I've gotten to the point where it is still cob, but not too far from
being clay coated straw. Quite strong as it dries, and less
tendency to slump. I'm definitely getting better / faster. By myself, I
can make it around the building cobbing up about 6 to 8 inches at
a time in one day for the circumference of the building. The
circumference around the building is about a 140 feet. There are
about 22 fixed windows that surround the building and once I get to
that height (window) it should be a bit easier as the windows will be
area that don't have to be cobbed. I will build cob arches over each
window  rather use headers/ lintels (sp?). Of course you can't build
the curve in the arch up  too much each day. Once I get above the
window arches, I'll put vents in above the windows.

And one last thought, has anyone calculated the weight of /
amount earth in a cob building based on it's dimension? I'm really
bad about keeping track of such things and have thought of
weighting a cubic foot of cob, then calculating the volume of the
building, converting into cubic feet and then dividing figure  by the
weight of the cubic foot to get the approx weight of the building.
Hey, just something to do when it's too cold to cob.

Pat

Pat Newberry
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk