Cob: Cob + Strawbale + Earthships (fwd)

Tony Glaser aglaser at engsoc.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 11 16:37:24 CST 2000

Hi folks,

Just looking for thoughts on my idea.  For those who don't know,
earthships are a method of building using discarded car tires filled with
earth and surrounded by concrete.  The tires are stacked like bricks
and also serve as the foundation below grade. They are built in a 'U'
shape with the opening of the 'U' facing south for passive solar.

I live in a cold climate and my idea is to fill the rims of the tires with
dirt, the centers and gaps with straw, and cob both sides (more on the
inside than out).

My goal is to find an architect and structural engineer in my province
(Ontario) to get it working with and make the plans freely available.

What do you think?

Tony

Anthony Glaser
aglaser at engsoc.carleton.ca
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~aglaser
Year 3 Electrical
Faculty of Engineering, Carleton University