Cob: Re: Cob + Strawbale + Earthships (fwd)

David Knapp renewables at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 11 21:28:02 CST 2000

Tony,

Just be sure that you have a way of connecting the tires together.  Normally the tires and centers are compacted with 300 - 350 pounds of soil.  The tires bulge and interlock with each other.  It would be next to impossible to achieve this without filling and compacting the centers too.  Without it, you will have a wobbly, spongy wall.  Normally tire walls are round or U shaped as the individual case may be, but most are earth bermed.  Those that aren't are usually wrapped in a straw bale outer layer.  In my opinion, you'd be much better off to cob the wall and wrap it in straw bales (doing straw bale stucco on the outside).

Dave

David & Sheila Knapp
Winnebago, Illinois
Renewables at bigfoot.com