Cob: Actaul Cob houses

goshawk at gnat.net goshawk at gnat.net
Thu Jan 13 08:48:11 CST 2000

I'm in the middle of my heavy cob phase (no pun intended)
I'm working on about a 150 running feet of cob wall right now. I'm
not moving real quick due to the weather. below 50 (F) the hands
get a bit cold. I use a cement mixer, a childs swimming pool and a
wheel barrel to mix my cob. I expect to be done by May (walls and
floors. The roof is done.  The building is a combination of
superadobe, strawbale, and cob and right now my work is about 95
percent working with cob.

Pit falls, Thinking I was going to finish before winter.

Successes: realizing how well cob works with almost any other
medium. I've used it with superadobe, strawbale, natural rocks,
natural lumber etc. Keep it off the ground, Keep a roof over it, avoid
long straight walls are the three princples I build by.

Pat
Photos are at http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk
but I haven't put any new ones up yet this year, but will in month or
two.

On 12 Jan 00, at 21:28, Ted Schluenderfritz wrote:

> Hello,
> As this is such a quiet list I thought I would throw a question out there
> to see if anyone is listening. Of course it's quality and not quantity and
> my previous postings got me some very helpful advice...but still...
>
> I would be interested to read a brief description from anyone on the list
> who has actually built or is building a cob house-- what they built, what
> pitfalls, successes they had. One can read this sort of thing about
> strawbale all over the internet but I haven't seen many cob owner/builder
> stories.
>
> Ted

Pat Newberry
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk