Cob: RE: New to Cob

John Schinnerer John-Schinnerer at data-dimensions.com
Wed May 3 15:42:22 CDT 2000

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramona Garrett [mailto:ramona at pookiedoos.com]

>...I want to build a cob
>house, but I need to get a book first.  I've found 2 on the internet
>The Cob Builders Handbook By Becky Bee and The Cobber's Companion,
>Second Edition by Michael G. Smith and The Cob Cottage.

>Does anyone have a preference or are they basically the same technique?

I think they're both wonderful books.  They cover the same basic material
but in two different styles.  Michael comes from an engineering background,
and his book reflects that approach; Becky comes from a more artistic
background and her book reflects that approach.  I'd say get both and draw
information and inspiration from both.

>Also, does anyone know of any Cob Workshops in Texas or anyone in the
>Houston area that would lend their knowledge & expertise to help us get
>started?

Try contacting the Cob Crew (see http://home.sprynet.com/~cobcrew/ for info)
- they're in Texas.

John Schinnerer