Cob: Thin walls

Mafalda Stock mafalda.stock at yale.edu
Mon May 8 15:34:32 CDT 2000

I am very, very new to the idea of cob-building by mere mortals, and to
this list, so please bear with me.

Recently thin walls have been discussed, including African methods of
mud-building.  Which brings me to the mud huts that I saw in Iraq many
years ago.  Somewhere I read that cob is suited to rainy areas such as the
U.K. and the Pacific Northwest.  Does this notion take into account floods
as well, or not?  Because I do remember that when the River Tigris
overflowed, the dried mud huts would revert to the mud from which they were
made, and many lives were periodically lost. Is it a question of variables
in the mud-mixture composition or that cob wouldn't stand long soaking?

I would love to build me a sweet Englist cottage, complete with open
hearth, and bread-baking oven.  Has anyone in Connecticut been able to get
a permit to build a cob house?  My son tells me I should get real. :-)

Many thanks indeed.
Mafi Stock