Cob: Thin walls

W uwu at angelfire.com
Tue May 9 15:37:17 CDT 2000

Hello all,
I worked last year with Cob Cottage building a beautifully designed cob home n Mayne Island, BC (Where Cobworks.com is now located).  We built interior walls for a shower (later to be tiled) and pantry that were about 3 - 4 inches thick (from stone foundation on up). The opening to the shower stall was a free-standing arch (using the "corbelling" method), and for the pantry door opening, a 2x4 frame was used.  I was impressed by the strength of these walls, although they were certainly NOT load-bearing.  The walls were about 3-4 feet long, 8 ft high, and attatched on either end to load-bearing cob walls of about 12 inches thick.
---
PeaceLoveLightLifeBeautyTruth
W.