Cob: Re: Clay Tiles

Sarah Kopp kopp at kinneret.kinneret.co.il
Wed May 10 14:21:45 CDT 2000

Yes you can make your own floor tiles but they will not be waterproof
undless you glaze them.  Glazing requires a special kind of kiln with a wire
rack that holds the tiles individually.  If you do not glaze them but
waterproof them after installation with some kind of sealer you can stack
them one on top of the other for firing.  Firing a large outdoor kiln is a
special craft within the craft of pottery and would be quite an undertaking
for a non-potter, IMO.

I looked into this recently - there is a potter near me with a small kiln,
big enough to stack about 20 tiles (25cm each so about 5 square meters per
firing.)  The clay is sooo cheap, about $.50 for enough clay to make at
least the 20 tiles, probably more.  You make a shallow form of wood and roll
the clay into it with a rolling pin, then turn it out to leather.  You can
make a lot of tiles quickly, but some of them will curl or possibly crack
during firing so your actual production could be quite slow.  I wanted to
pay this potter to make them for me because real terra cotta is not
available here but he says he hates making tiles (very boring).

I the meantime I am planning to put a concrete floor down and perhaps tile
it in the future.   I would also be interested in hearing anyone else's
experience making their own tiles.

Sarah
Tsfat, Israel