Cob: Re: Clay Tiles> another Lime Experiment

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu May 11 20:16:23 CDT 2000

Early in the day Humboldt Cunty USA:
There is a US company or two taking bits of broken marbles, recycled
colorful
junk and embedding them into cement tiles. The effect is gorgeous, and
they are
used as counter top tiles too. they are caled precast cement tiles, and
had
metal shavings, glass bits,nuts, bolts, etc embedded in them.  I am
wondering if
you could maake a form, pour the cement ( ok..or  use  a pure lime
mortar 1"
thick - longer to cure however) into it and embedd some junk to make
your own.
I was thinking marbles, or little sea shells, rocks etc.  Find a very
flat spot
somewhere, put tarpaper or cardboard down as the base. Cement cures in a
couple
hours, then the tiles are sealer with a marble sealant to protect
surface.
SInce these dont have to be oven baked it could work if a
coloring is used in the cement to start.

Late in the day: Ok I went outside and made up several 1/2 thick lime
and sand tiles, and am watching them dry. I addded no fiber, will try
that next is these show cracks. I also used some left over " Versabond"
tile mortar, which is JUST portland cement with sand premixed, you add
water, and voila' ugly grey mortar, I mixed half and half with lime
putty and am letting that dry too.  Of course the lime cures slower, so
will report back in on how they look. They make big cvement stepping
stones with embedded designes here, and sell them for $20-25, so making
my own was one idea similar to making tiles, or limestone tiles.

Charmaine  Taylor
Taylor Publishing
PO Box 6985, Eureka CA 95502
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms
Visit online where you can buy books & videos anytime!