Cob: Clay Tiles-cement tiles?

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu May 11 20:31:25 CDT 2000

I went to the search engine for cement and colorings for making terazzo type
precast tiles.

a good list of info and links is there at
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/crc/staff/cole/mine/pigments.html

Including Blue Mountain and many others who sell colorings.

Here is some basic info on pouring cement into a small box mold.

The Use of Pigments in Concrete
Plaster Master Industries 4308 Shankweiler Rd - Orefield, PA 18069
                         Phone (610) 391-9277  ยท  Fax (610) 391-0340

Pouring concrete Into a mold must be done
                                             carefully so as to create as few air
bubbles or
                                             pockets as possible One of the
greatest enemies of
                                             ornamental concrete are bug holes.
Bug holes are
                                             caused by air being trapped in the
mix and not being
                                             able to escape, thus you end up with
a hole in the
                                             finished product To properly pour
concrete into
                                             your mold start by poring slowly into
the center of
                                             the mold. Vibration is recommended
while pouring.
                                             On taller molds such as pedestals and
planters with
                                             cores it is best to pour about one
third of the mold
                                             at a time with a few seconds of
vibration between
                                             each pouring section. This allows the
air to work its
                                             way to the top in sections rather
than having to pass
                                             through 20" to 40" of concrete all at
once. When the
                                             pour is complete the concrete should
have a creamy
                                             look to It around the edges of the
mold.

GrenSheltr at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/00 6:11:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kopp at kinneret.kinneret.co.il writes:
>
> << In the meantime I am planning to put a concrete floor down and perhaps tile
>  it in the future.   I would also be interested in hearing anyone else's
>  experience making their own tiles. >>

Charmaine Taylor