Cob: Cob, strawbale, rammed earth or cordwood?

Malinda Klein jsterk at lockon.com
Wed May 17 23:32:20 CDT 2000

Hello everyone.  My husband and I are looking to build a home on 98 acres here in Texas but we want an earth-friendly, energy efficient, economical home.  I've been reading about cob vs. strawbale, rammed earth and cordwood and feel a bit overwhelmed with all the information.

Can anyone provide some insight as to what is best in Texas?  I really like the look of cordwood but Texas doesn't have the wonderful wood sources that many of the northern states have.  The strawbale is appealing but my husband just can't get past the ideas of rats and fire.

Though we want a rustic looking home, we do want it to have a modern look as well.  We really liked the web site of "The house that John built" and the looks of that house but we need to see more examples of the others.

If anyone has pictures of your home, please share it with the list if you are comfortable in doing so.

I look forward to reading everyones posts and thanks for bearing with this newbie!

Malinda Klein
College Station, Tx