Cob: Re: Rosemary Lyndall Wemm - Cob wall mixtures - British

Christopher Greenslade Chris at vicgreen.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed May 24 16:15:21 CDT 2000

Cob walls are normally built off a stone plinth which can vary in height
from 450mm above ground level up to first floor joist level in some domestic
buildings.

Correct mixing of the material is as important as the actual construction
process.  The soil is first broken down to a fairly fine tilth, all large
stones greater than 50mm diameter being removed in the process.  It is then
spread out into a bed some 100mm in depth on a hard, pre-wetted surface on
top of a thin layer of straw.  Water is then added and a second, thicker
layer of straw is spread evenly on top (about 25kg of straw per cubic metre
of soil - 1.5% to 2% by weight - is considered adequate).  The straw is then
trodden into the soil which is turned several times, more water being added
as required.  Thorough treading of the mix (traditionally by either men or
animals) is vital because it ensures even distribution of the clay and
renders the material to a consistency and state of cohesion suitable for
building.  The quantity of water used will vary according to the soil type
but is usually in a range of 10% to 12% by weight.  If too little water is
added the necessary blending, in other words efficient distribution of the
clay fraction throughout the soil, will be difficult to achieve; the
material will also be difficult to compact when it is placed on the wall.
On the other hand, excessive amounts of water reduce the soil to a soft,
plastic state, making building virtually impossible.  In this case the
material may need to be left for several days to dry out before using.

A typical serviceable cob mix would contain clay and aggregates in the
following proportions:

Stones and gravel (over 5mm diameter) 30%-40%
Fine and coarse sands 25%-30%
Silt 10%-20%
Clay 10%-25%

As the wall dries out shrinkage takes place (the first 3 to 4 weeks are the
most critical) and the straw has the beneficial effect of distributing
shrinkage cracks throughout the wall, which prevents the formation of large
fissures thereby reducing the risk of subsequent structural failure.

The height of a lift or "raise" would vary according to soil type and
consistency from 300mm up to 900mm!

Best regards
Chris